Dr. Prasanna V Savanur
We are celebrating “Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav” to mark the 75th year of Indian independence. On this occasion, The Government of India has organized various events. Continuing its series of activities under the ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’, the Ministry of AYUSH launched a campaign of distributing AYUSH prophylactic medicines to reach 75 lakh people across the country to help combat the Covid-19 pandemic.
To attain this target, The Faculty of Indian Medical System, SGT University in association with Central Ayurveda Research Institute (under CCRAS, Ministry of AYUSH, GOI) has taken initiative to reach minimum Ten thousand people. For which Faculty of Indian Medical System started “free distribution campaign of Samshamni Vati (Guduchighana vati)”. In this campaign, Samshamni Vati will be distributed to the entire teaching faculty, non-teaching staff, students, and their family members, of SGT University, nearby villages, schools and colleges. Lifestyle tips for boosting immunity will also be shared with people.
The Distribution of AYUSH prophylactic medicines will help citizens to boost immunity against corona virus. During the two waves of pandemic the people of this country showed great faith in our traditional system of medicine. Samshamni Vati is also known as guduchighana vati. Its main ingredient is Guduchi(Giloy). Giloy is known for its anti-inflammatory benefits and helps to reduce respiratory problems like frequent cough, cold etc. It is also used in all kinds of fever due to its antipyretic action. This medicine helps to strengthen the body’s immune system and enhance the body’s ability to fight against the various bacterial and viral infections
The recommended prophylactic dose and duration of Samshamni Vati is 500 mg twice (2 tabs/twice) a day for adult for one month. This medicine is available in SGT Ayurveda hospital from Monday to Saturday (Except Gazetted holidays), 9:00AM-4:00PM, any person can avail it free of cost by producing any Government Id card number.
Some Lifestyle Tips to boost the immunity.
Early Morning Regime (4.30am to 8.30am)
- Wake up between 4:30 – 5:00 in the morning or 45 minutes before sunrise.
- Drink 1-3 glasses of warm water
- Gandusha / Kavala (Oil Pulling) 1 tablespoon of sesame or coconut oil for Kavala followed by warm water rinse. Ÿ
- Gargle with warm water added with a pinch of turmeric and salt, Triphala, and Yashtimadhu.
- Nasal Health – Pratimarsha Nasya (2 drops Anu taila each nostril).
- Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama and meditation for at least 30 minutes as advised by Ministry of AYUSH
- Warm water bath
After Noon Regimen
- Don’t sleep during the daytime
- Involve in Work from Home/Indoor recreational activities like Studies, Reading, Painting, Gardening, Playing-listening Music, Social Media etc.
- Meditation / Pranayama – 30 minutes
- Indoor Recreational Activities
- Eat only when hungry, in the appropriate amount according to the digestive power (Neither too less nor more).
- Always take a fresh & warm diet.
- Eat easily digestible foods.
- Eat a night meal 3 hours after sunset or till 8 pm. Sleep at least 2-3 hours after dinner. Adequate sleep is very important for health.
(The author is Dean, Indian Medical System, SGT University, Gurugram)